Joseph W. Gibbs
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
1600 Division Street, Suite 700
Nashville, TN 37203
Joe has represented clients successfully before the Tennessee tax administrative bodies and before Tennessee courts, including the Tennessee Supreme Court. Joe represents a number of Fortune 500 companies with respect to their Tennessee tax matters. Joe also represents clients in federal tax controversy resolution, including administrative appeals and representation before the United States Tax Court.
Joe has extensive experience in advising clients in structuring real estate transactions, including structuring ownership entities and investments in United States real estate by foreign investors. A substantial part of Joe’s practice includes advising clients with respect to economic and tax incentives available to businesses for expanding their facilities in Tennessee or relocating facilities to Tennessee, including structuring PILOTS and other incentives.
Honors & Accolades:
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Tax Law, 1995-2021
- Litigation and Controversy – Tax, 2010-2021
- Economic Development Law, 2011-2021
- Trusts and Estates, 2018-2021
- “Lawyer of the Year,” Nashville, Economic Development Law, 2015
- “Lawyer of the Year,” Nashville, Economic Development Law, 2013
- “Lawyer of the Year,” Nashville, Tax Law, 2011, 2019
- Listed in Mid-South Super Lawyers, Tax, 2006-2020
- Listed in Nashville Business Journal, “Best of the Bar,” Tax/Estate Planning, 2006, 2010
- Listed in Business Tennessee
- “Best 101 Lawyers,” 2004-2005
- “150 Best Lawyers,” 2006-2012
Bradley’s Tax Practice Group offers a broad range of services covering all aspects of federal, state, and local taxation laws for individuals and businesses. Our tax attorneys serve a diverse client base, including:
- Privately held businesses
- Regional, national, and international publicly held companies
- Corporate and individual fiduciaries
- Nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations – charities, religious organizations, and healthcare providers
Our attorneys have direct experience in handling the unique tax issues of a wide range of industries, including:
- Banking and financial services
- Information technology
- Biotech, and real estate
Our attorneys have extensive experience in:
- Corporate and partnership tax representation
- Federal tax planning and structuring
- Business entity formation
- State and local tax
- Trust and estate taxation
- Tax controversy resolution
- Tax-exempt organizations
More than half of the partners in the Tax Practice Group are elected Fellows in either the American College of Tax Counsel or the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, both of which are elite groups of nationally recognized tax or trust and estate attorneys.
Our 10 offices are located in Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and the District of Columbia, giving us an extensive geographic base to represent clients on a regional, national, and international basis. We frequently serve as national coordinating counsel, regional counsel, and statewide counsel for clients in various industries.
Although we are a large law firm with more than 500 lawyers, our clients still enjoy the personal attention, responsiveness, and deep relationships they would expect from a boutique firm. Our attorneys and staff combine legal experience and knowledge with a sophisticated understanding of industries to work side by side with clients and come up with practical, strategic solutions specifically tailored to their business operations. Bradley lawyers use their talents, judgment, work ethic, and experience to go above and beyond expectations to help our clients meet their goals.