Nathan S. Merrill
Goodspeed & Merrill
9605 South Kingston Court
Englewood, CO 80112
As a founding Partner of Goodspeed Merrill, Mr. Merrill advises individuals, entrepreneurs and businesses with a wide range of challenges, including taxation, choice of business entity and formation issues, the growth process, financing, general business matters, shareholder disputes, and business transactions such as asset and stock acquisitions and divestitures, and mergers.
Mr. Merrill uses his master’s degree in taxation to achieve the best outcome for clients, recognizing each client’s unique needs and objectives.
Mr. Merrill heads the firm’s Tax and Private Client Services practice where he advises individuals with respect to their estate planning needs, ranging from the creation of wills and trusts to insurance planning, and business succession planning. These transactions range from consolidating ownership of closely held start-up ventures and raising equity for growing businesses, to divestitures and public offerings in excess of $100 million.
Many of Mr. Merrill’s clients are involved with real estate investment and development or simply desire to structure their real estate holdings to further their business goals or investment objectives. Mr. Merrill also assists his clients to minimize risk, improve operations and align company and privately held assets to achieve business, tax and estate planning goals.
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. – 2001
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- LL.M. – 2003
- Honors: Graduate Tax Program
- Utah, 2016
- Colorado, 2003
- Missouri, 2001
- U.S. Tax Court, 2001
- Strategic tax efficient business structures and transactions
- Corporation, Limited Liability Company and Partnership integrated solutions
- Corporate “C-corp” tax efficiency
- Choice of Entity and Tiered Entity Analysis(all stages of business growth)
- Compensation related tax strategies, including benefits, equity grants, stock options and deferred compensation
- 1031 exchanges and other real estate-focused tax matters, including developer/investor “land banking” structures
- 1202 Qualified Small Business Stock tax efficient structures
- 1045 Qualified Small Business Stock “rollover” strategies
- Permanent Capital Vehicle structures providing for long term growth and deferral for all types of businesses
- Captive Insurance
- Qualified Opportunity Zone structuring
- Crafting buy/sell agreements for operational effectiveness as well as provide creative and tax efficient funding options
Goodspeed & Merrill was founded by experienced attorneys in January 2011 with a vision of creating a firm that offers excellence in the quality of service and in the treatment of clients and employees. Our culture is designed to foster an environment of collaboration, responsiveness, and commitment to understanding the needs of those we serve, including clients and our neighbors in the community.