Terry W. Vincent
600 Superior Avenue East
Cleveland, OH 44114
Terry served the Central Collection Agency (“CCA”) as Special Prosecutor initiating criminal proceedings in communities throughout the State of Ohio to enforce and support their municipal income tax ordinances.
Prior to joining Brouse McDowell, Terry worked as senior attorney with the Office of Chief Counsel in the Tax Litigation Division of the Internal Revenue Service in Washington, D.C. and as a senior attorney in the Office of District Counsel of the Internal Revenue Service in Cleveland, Ohio. He also taught Accounting at The University of Akron.
Terry was recognized as one of Ohio’s SuperLawyers® in the 2004, 2005 and 2007 Cincinnati Magazine, as voted by his peers.
- “PPP: Understanding the New, Flexible Guidelines,” Co-Speaker with Tom Fraser of First Mutual Holding Company, and Will Costello, CPA of Laskey Costello, LLC, LakewoodAlive and the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce Webinar (June 24, 2020)
- “PPP: Making the Most of It,” Co-Speaker with Tom Fraser of First Mutual Holding Company, and Will Costello, CPA of Laskey Costello, LLC, LakewoodAlive and the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce Webinar (May 15, 2020)
- “’Show Me the Money’ – PPP Loan Proceeds and Forgiveness Considerations,” Co-Author Shelby L. Ranier, Business Restructuring and Corporate Counseling, Brouse McDowell Client Alert (April 23, 2020)
- “3 Actions Your Small Business Can Take Immediately and Other Key Updates to the CARES Act,” Co-Author Shelby L. Ranier, Business Transactions and Corporate Counseling, Brouse McDowell Client Alert (March 31, 2020)
- “10 FAQs – SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans,” Co-Authors Louis P. Alexander, and Shelby L. Ranier, Business Restructuring and Corporate Counseling, Brouse McDowell Client Alert (March 24, 2020)
- “$2 Trillion Stimulus Package – “The CARE Act” – To Aid Businesses and Individuals During The Coronavirus Pandemic,” Co-Author with Nicholas P. Capotosto, Tax – Business & Corporate, Brouse McDowell Client Alert (March 27, 2020)
- “’Do you feel lucky?!’ The Top 3 Trends in IRS Tax Audits and Compliance,” Co-Author Shelby L. Ranier, Business, Brouse McDowell Blog (March 11, 2020)
- “Reading Financial Statements – The Basics,” co-speaker with Shelby L. Ranier, ACC NEO CLE Seminar, Cleveland, Ohio (February 11, 2020)
- “Trust fund taxes: ‘Borrowing’ from the government? Or ‘theft’ of government funds?” FOCUS, a publication of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Ohio Chapter (January 1, 2020)
- “Trust fund taxes: ‘Borrowing’ from the government? Or ‘theft’ of government funds?” Smart Business, Akron/Canton (October 1, 2019)
- “Has the County Established a Value for Your Property That is Too High?” Co-Author Thomas A. Gattozzi; Real Estate/Tax, Brouse McDowell Client Alert (March 20, 2019)
- Mr. Vincent has given numerous presentations on various tax, nonprofit law and business topics.
- Brouse McDowell Business Minutes – Pitfalls of Treating the Government as Lender (September 21, 2015)
Tax laws are ever-complex and ever-changing. Complexity and change call for the need to build a tax plan that is customized to each particular business or personal situation. Our goal is to take advantage of all available tax strategies and to position our clients for optimal financial success with the least amount of federal, state and local tax consequences.
Virtually every transaction, business or personal, has tax implications. We work closely with attorneys in other practice areas of our firm to create and implement plans, structures and instruments that permit our clients to successfully complete their business transactions, while achieving the most favorable tax results. We focus on addressing tax issues relating to mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, refinancings, formations, structuring and operation of public charities, private foundations, joint ventures and other tax-exempt organizations.
Our services include advice on organizational issues, tax abatement and exemption opportunities, and structures for tax-deductible contributions. We also represent businesses and individuals in tax controversies, including tax audits by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and various state and local tax agencies, as well as, in litigation in the Tax Court and other federal and state courts.
Brouse McDowell is a full-service business law firm based in northern Ohio. From offices in Akron, Cleveland, Naples, Toledo and Youngstown, our 80+ attorneys serve clients across the region and far beyond. We’re a mid-size firm with the talent, diverse experience and national reach of a large firm.
With 100 years of history, we continue our long tradition of delivering sophisticated legal counsel to clients that range from sole proprietorships to the nation’s largest corporations. They span a wide variety of industries, including heath care, manufacturing, oil and gas, technology, real estate and construction, among others. Our practice groups bring together the focused skills and multi-disciplinary experience that businesses need to meet their most pressing goals.